Image Map

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Making the Move

In the past three years I have taught kindergarten, first, and third and BY FAR the question I get asked most often is "What grade do you like best?"  Honestly, I am a born teacher.
Yes, you can go to college and learn all the techniques, tricks, and curriculum.  However, I am a firm believer that there are some people that are just born to be teachers....let's just say they have a knack for it! Therefore, I have loved every grade I have taught in their own way.  Each grade has its own sets of joys and challenges.  Third being no different.  With only one full week under our belt I have to say that my favorite thing about third, thus far, is the INDEPENDENCE!
We are spending the first two full weeks launching our small group time in both reading and math so don't make the assumption that this super independent age knows your expectations.  It is just nice to not have to teach things like how and when to go to the bathroom, where the lunch room is, how to line up.  The other great thing about the kids being so independent is their abilities to occupy themselves!!!  When the my grade level partner told me that you will just give them work and they will do it....I was like REALLY?!?!

DISCLAIMER:  Since we are still going through expectations and procedures this hasn't happened for me yet, but they have let me turn my back for a few minutes to get my lesson plan together.....totally different than kindergarten and first where you have to occupy them ALL THE TIME!

I am 100% sure that this will be an AMAZING year full of growth for myself and the students and I will quickly be adding to my pro's list for teaching third grade!

No comments:

Post a Comment