Image Map

Monday, April 29, 2019

Amazing, Astonishing, and Academic Adjectives

 Adjectives lend themselves to an array of engaging and rigorous activities...WHO could resist all this descriptive fun.  I wanted to start off with giving my students some experience into the wide range of adjectives.  We created a flip book and decided on the categories as we went along.  The kids were just about to jump out of their seats with descriptive words so we switched up our procedures for this one.  I put 3-5 minutes on the timer and we all just fired away tossing out adjectives that would fit well in the particular category.  There were some sections that had over 50 words!!!  Another super motivator was having the students count how many they had written down!

   

 After getting our feet wet with the variety of adjectives out there, I brought out one of my favorite activities of all time!  I have used this bag in Kindergarten, First, and Third!  We start the lesson by adding adjectives that appropriately describe the gift bag.  Throughout the lesson the students were so excited to see what was actually inside!  The students also recorded them on their sheet.  We then had some real fun by FINALLY getting to see what was in this mystery bag! 

POP ROCKS



After the students and I finished making our individual word webs, I knew the revelation of what was inside the bag would create a bit of organized chaos.  In order to keep the students focused on the task I shared the pen for a chart we make collaboratively to describe the pop rocks outside and inside!

 This was another activity that I loved from teaching a different grade.  I wished there had been more time for the students to get actual photographs of their bedrooms for the visual part of this assignment.  Nonetheless, it turned out great!  The assignment to describe their bedrooms not only served as a grammar activity, but also a writing one as well.

 Culminating our studies, the students chose some personality adjectives to describe themselves.  Vocabulary, writing, art all wrapped into one!! You can snag a free copy of the personality adjectives below!






No comments:

Post a Comment